I was watching a video review of the new GW technical paint Martian Ironearth (here after referred to as MI) and I really liked the way it looked for basing, so I decided to give it a try. However, I really enjoy the look of torn cork board on my bases as well, and I was worried that such a porous material wouldn’t work well with the paint. After some experimenting, and getting several varying results, I think I have stumbled upon the right combination for a MI/cork basing combo.
Step One: Cork prep.
First, I cut the cork to fit the size of my base, and super glued it down. I usually leave a little extra around the edges because I like to tear the edges by hand, giving the edges a random, natural looking pattern. Once the glue dried, i used Krylon Matte Finish (http://www.krylon.com/products/matte-finish/) to seal the cork.
This helps put a layer between the cork and paint to keep the cork from absorbing the Quick Dry chemical in the MI that creates the crackle effect. (Experimental Failure #1). *shout out to TheLordOnHigh for this little nugget of info.
Next, I base coated the cork with a spray black primer. This adds another seal to the cork, and also, depending on how much your MI actually cracks, it can give some depth between the cracks. Now your cork is ready for the MI.
Step Two: Adding the MI.
The next step is as simple as applying the MI to the cork itself.
You actually have to be pretty liberal with how much you use on the base. Using too little paint ends with no cracks, and just red cork.
From my experience, the more MI you use in an area, the larger the cracked pieces…just don’t go crazy, or it will just sit there and dry into a blob.
The paint takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to dry (depending on the amount of paint you use).
The results look amazing in my opinion.
Step Three: Sealing it all in.
For the last step, wait for the MI to completely dry, and spray it one last time with the Matte Finish spray. This helps seal the crackles to the base. On a side note, I tried using PVA, as well as a paint-on matte sealant, and they worked…technically…they just kind of re-moistened the cracks, and left the whole thing a little to shiney for my liking (even the matte paint-on came out shiney…Experimental Failure #2).
Your final results look like this:
To sum it all up, with a little forethought, the cork and MI is a simple process that takes very little time to complete, and looks absolutely amazing in my opinion. Thanks for reading guys, and I hope you enjoyed the tutorial.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Caleb Scott is a Registered Nurse who enjoys painting miniatures, video games, Dungeons and Dragons, and spending time with his smoking hot wife. He’s also ruggedly handsome, and quite charming.