We’re back with part 3 of this 4 part project from expert convertor Dom aka ‘Mad Scuzzy’. This time we follow the creation of a highly detailed Master of the Forge/Techmarine on a very heavily armed and armoured Space Marine bike conversion. This is one of 4 Warhammer 40k Space Marine HQ units with the most detailed and powerful-looking bike conversions we’ve seen. Be sure to check out part 1 and part 2 to see the creation of the Space Marine Chaplain and Chapter master on their heavy bikes. – Graven Games
Part 3: Techmarine
While playing with the wheels when building the Mk2, placing the tracks by the sides rather appealed to me. It was kind of a throwback to the original design I played around with, but more like an actual tracked vehicle than the double tracked original variant. I may revisit that someday with some other vehicle.
I’ve always wanted to make a Master of the Forge Techmarine on a bike with a Conversion Beamer. With the release of the Beamers from Forge World, I finally had a base to work off from.
I started with the legs, as I wanted to make sure that I could create the look for the Techmarine’s body as I wanted. I had procured a set of chisels that I wanted to test out and they worked like a charm.
A nice quirk is that bike legs are larger than our normal marine legs, so it didn’t look too out of place with material shaved off.
The body of the Techmarine was a leftover from when I originally designed the Mk1. I have been saving it for a reason, and this seemed to be it. With the chisels, the iconic crenulations of Mars were much easier to produce on the body and helm.
The head was designed to be special, incorporating the crenulations and eyeless design. Being a Techmarine I opted to still have some sensors.
I paid close attention to the shoulder pad as I wanted it to have the crenalated design as the body and legs. It was tricky as my usual pads lie flushed and now I needed to create a step. I achieved this by angling the extension by a bit and shaving it down to fit another layer.
I’ve always loved the axes that the old school Techmarines wielded with the Mechanicus symbol as the axe head but they don’t do it very much anymore. So I made one from the an axe with a normal axe but mounted the Mechanicus symbol on the back.
For the Servo Harness I wanted the overhanging guns on the top, but also the normal plasma cutter so I modded the arms, also giving it a more balanced aesthetic.
An inline conversion beamer, like the 1989 Batmobile was appealing . But that interfered with wheels that I have been using. It didn’t feel right to have that little space to fit both the Beamer and the engine on the front, and since the Beamer was more important, I figured I could get away with some hover tech in the front.
The front was built up with putty and 2 halves of the Master of Ravenwing Jetbike prow but I left out the eagle and had to build up the inner sides flat to accept the beamer in the middle. As the Beamer only took up the upper top half of the front, I added vents underneath it to help power the hover tech just below it.
Hovering helped solve the issue of steering, as I had to mount the front section directly to the chassis to make it seem like it could take the power of the Beamer and hover tech. Steering I imagine, will be done primarily with the rear tracks, like tank, so it will pivot and swing the front around.
The chassis was assembled with the back similarly extended to the Mk2, but I had to take into consideration what I would need to put in the middle. Since both tracks were there, I settled for the engine to be housed in the centre section under the back section.
The back has the drive train mounted with some vertical traverse suspension, with independent drive, thanks to some land speeder lights! The exhaust is from a Baal Flamer turret.
Detailing up the back was tricky as I had too much space to put stuff but I also had to think of the Servo Harness and how it would interfere with stowage. I tried placing boxes and stowage like the other bikes but it just didn’t feel right. Playing around, I chanced upon the idea of putting even more engines on the back, so here is what I came up with.
The front had some hover tech detailed in.
After checking the fit of the Techmarine on the bike, I worked on the base. The model is pretty fragile with all the weight on the contact points of the rear wheels so I had to make sure the model was pinned properly. I am so glad for the light resin front despite the many flaws and bubbles it has.
To flow with the circular aesthetic, I added some round condensers on the sides, where the front suspension would normally be. The symbol was taken from the Imperial Knight kit.
I detailed the back more with a bike mounted Servo Arm and more saddle bags.
And here is the finished Techmarine.
The project doesn’t end here, check back in the next few days for the final part of Project Land Train, covering the creation of a Space Marine Librarian on a custom heavy bike!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dom Chan or better known as madscuzzy has been in the 40k hobby for a long time and has a strong love of modeling and converting. Primarily based at B&C, he is responsible for some of the art there and has been the primary artist for the Space Marine Painter. Other notable projects include Orktimus Prime that has been floating around the net a while ago. Check out my personal site here